It’s summertime. As an athlete, maybe you’re taking a bit of a break, and not thinking about school or the upcoming season.
But your future coaches are. While everyone else is out on the lake, they’re cooped up in their offices, trying to find the next impact player.
Will they find you? Not if your highlight reel isn’t good. We asked David Stenklyft, Director of Recruiting for the University of North Texas football team, what should be going in your highlight video.
Got any tips for future recruits on how to make a great highlight reel? Tweet us using the hashtag #fbrecruitreel
WHAT YOU NEED FOR A FOOTBALL HIGHLIGHT REEL
Wow 'em early
You should start out your football highlight reel with a bang - an explosive throw or catch. From there, mix it up with some blocking, or even basic route running situations, to show coaches you have the fundamentals down. But there should be more in your reel.
You’re a receiver who can catch? Great. But can you run-block or perform other functions that help make a play successful when you aren’t the target of the ball? Put that in your highlight reel too.
Have Multiple Games in Your Reel
The North Texas staff has to watch a MINIMUM of three games before a coordinator gives them the go-ahead on a recruit. Make their jobs easier by featuring highlights from multiple games… and implore your coach to send over at least four good game tapes (highlight you of course.)
HOW TO GET RECRUITED FOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL WITH KROSSOVER
Your highlights should look as clean as this video:
- Select your full games: You heard it, college coaches need raw film. Pick at least 3 full games to share with coaches.
- Select your highlights: Filter by player and event in our video breakdown with a click of a button.
- Captivate your audience with one or two opening clips, like a big throw or catch.
- Fill the middle of the reel with fundamentally-sound plays, including offense, defense, catching, passing, and running.
- Add media: Add your personal touch with some music and an ending graphic with your name, position, class, school and contact information.
Want to hit the ground running? Sign up for a Krossover demo and we'll show you how to get started!